Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Some Teachers Suck

This may seem like an unlikely title for a teacher, but I am only being honest when I say some people in my profession are suckwads! There seems to be a suckish coven of vile teachers at NEMS where my child attends. They have been nothing but awful to my kid. Now as most of you know, my boy is trying but until this year he was never considered a discipline problem. He had 7th grade teachers that believed in him, and he thrived (for the most part). This year is a different story. I have become the parent that needs to make waves, and I am not comfortable with this role.

I am actually going to write a letter to the principal of the school explaining my dissatisfaction with the 8th grade team as a whole. I will, however, be praising two of his teachers who actually seem to care or at least can put on a good show. Why do people become teachers if they don't want to work with kids. I think of all the time I spend making sure my students get their work turned in, learning about their lives, checking in when bad things happen to them and loving almost every minute of it. This tells me I have made the right choice of career. I pity those that stay in teaching when it is obvious they are marking time. Most of the coven I spoke of earlier are rather young so it shouldn't be waiting for retirement coasting yet.




Also I want to discuss my son's science teacher. I don't know if my child is making more out of this than is necessary but it bothers him so I will write about it here. His science teacher keeps a Bible visable on his desk and often refers to Jesus Christ in class. I think he is probably a born-again Christian by the way my kid talks about him. That really is my least favorite kind of Christian. I have always appreciated the "Born right the first time" bumper stickers as I assume they are referring to those who need to be born again. Let us not forget that George W. Bush was a born again Christian.

Don't get me wrong I think Jesus rocks and God and I have a working relationship. Right now I am not happy with the all-powerful entity but we will be cool. He knows I always thank him first for anything good and blame him first when things go wrong. I think however that my personal relationship with God and Jesus is just that, PERSONAL. Also I thought we had a little thing called separation of church and state which carries over to school. Our country was created so all people could have religious freedom which means nobody can cram their faith down my thought or my kids'. I can't talk to my students about Buddhism or the Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone. I don't force them to celebrate a Solstice with me or worship a tree together. If I don't do these things, he needs to knock off telling my kid what to think about religion and read his Bible on his own time. Those of you who know me well know how strongly I believe in the separation of religion and education.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. A BIBLE on his DESK? Did he bump his head and forget where he is teaching?

I'm a God-fan too, but a strict separationist. Here's a secret: I don't feel comfortable saying "Under God" in our pledge so I just skip those words. I wonder if any of the students will ever notice.

Anonymous said...

I can't understand it either. Now that Jake is a sophomore, I've met a few teachers I've had to wonder about too. I think there should be a letter to the principal too. Write it Mama!

chad.02 said...

whatever letter you send, definitely sign it: The Drone

like a super-hero name jaknow?

The Drone is watching.
The Drone knows the score.

'zomg onoz it can't be - it is! it's THE DRONE! AHHHH!!!!'

i could see this being a favorite thing to do

Anonymous said...

In your profile pic, the Drone looks like the sort of girl who just might eat a Rhesus - no matter how wrong it may be.