Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ahoy Mateys






I have been thinking about this a lot lately and decided it was blog worthy. What has happened to pirates?
When did they lose their Jack Sparrow romanticism? Oh I know when real icky people started attacking ships. I know that real old timey pirates were awful blood thirsty scalawags, but they have been relegated to passionate stories of daring do. I so prefer to think of the devil may care pirate with the heart of gold. These new pirates are too real. Look at this guy on the right. There is absolutely nothing romantic about him. I do not see the daring-do and where's his sword. Oh I see, he doesn't need one because he is carrying a small cannon. It seems wrong that my biggest beef with these new pirates is that they are destroying my love of Long John Silver, Red Beard, anyone from Treasure Island instead of the fact that they are robbing, kidnapping and killing people. I am selfish, however, and think only of what they are doing to me. I heard on the radio last night that a Chinese crew fought off some of these so-called pirates by throwing bottles at them. Even Captain Hook could have taken that on. But I say, "You go Chinese sailors." They are also running a class on how to deal with piracy. The maritime folk haven't needed one of those for years. Their biggest suggestion is to not let the pirate ship get close enough to your ship for the pirates to climb aboard. Doesn't that seem obvious? But I guess if you have enough Evian (real Evian in the glass bottles) it doesn't matter how close you get.

4 comments:

chad.02 said...

holy shit black pirates??

i blame Obama!!

Anonymous said...

"...pirates with a heart of gold..."

Yes, it's as if Johnny Depp did for pirates what Julia Roberts did for hookers back in the 80's.

For a moment I thought comma-free Chad was describing the pirate as being "shit black". Chad has zero future in developing names for nail polish colors at Revlon. Good that he has other gifts.

chad.02 said...

a rewrite then:

holyshitblackpirates?!

City Dweller Suburban Drone said...

Oh Chad you always brighten my day.