Friday, January 9, 2009

Can't we just stand up like big girls?

I was inspired by the "blog formerly known as Holicrazed" to check out GOOP. As I was perusing all things Gwenyth, it struck me that almost all the pictures of G show her with her feet pointed together and her knees turned in. Please see G at left to illustrate.

What's with the shy little girl crap. I have noticed this in other magazines and find it repulsive. I'm sure there is an aesthetic reason, but the stance portrays women as vulnerable and weak. This picture has the added bonus of the hand stuck in the sleeve covering her mouth. I'm shy, I don't have a voice, I have fuschia tights, what I don't have is a brain.

Example number 2 to the right. Even more turned in toes and the looking away from the camera, seductive piece of hair falling in her face. It feels as if she is turning in upon herself. Why can't she stand up like a big girl? Maybe because of the castor oil addiction she needs to keep her knees in this position to prevent an unsightly accident. If it was just G, I would think that was possible but much of the fashion industry has its models stand this way.
Maybe to some of you I am making a big deal out of this, but I am tired of the media making women look like little girls that need to use the potty. In this era of Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama, we have wonderful role models. Strong, successful women who stand up straight and don't turn in their toes.

3 comments:

chad.02 said...

i have to agree with the point.

but in this particular case Skinny G is just about to click her heels and say 'there's no place like home...there's no place like home...'

What Now? said...

Strangely enough, about an hour before I read your post, I (and this is for realsies) was standing in the kitchen and realized that I had positioned myself in the exact pose that I would strike if I ever had reason to pose for a presidential portrait. And it was NOTHING like Gwyneth's GOOP poses. (Do other people find themselves posing for presidential portraits when standing by the fridge, or am I alone in this?)

As someone who happens to have the sort of posture that got me picked on in middle school, I am baffled by the school girl who needs to tinkle pose. It looks both ridiculous and uncomfortable.

Thanks for the shout out. I don't see any Che pics on the blog, though. Soon, right? Soon?

chad.02 said...

you and your crew are in part responsible for my new blog addiction so yousa best be feedin me